You Know

Featured Image -- 14695

I wasn’t a pretty girl, I was six feet tall at 15, you know – Maya Angelou

We moved from town to town and city to city, my 2 sisters, my brother and I. My dad had a hard time finding work you know. His shady past followed him wherever he would go. Mom did some part time work for the school, but most of the time she was busy taking care of us. To this day, I don’t know how she did it, but you know she always had a smile on her face and a song in her heart.

I was the oldest child. I tried to do my best. I still had school you know. I had to do well. I wanted my mom to be proud. My dad didn’t much care. He wasn’t around much, you know. We never knew where he was. He sent money once. He sent flowers to mom on her birthday. You know she cried. I cried. My sisters and brother cried.

flowers11I was a gangly girl – looked like my dad – tall and thin with strong angular features.  Unlike my mom, which she was petite and very pretty.  She had long flowing dark hair and dark brown eyes.  Her eyes were loving and kind unless she was mad.  You know you didn’t want to see her mad cuz those dark brown eyes could cut you in two.  I always wanted to look like my mom.

In my private time, which wasn’t much, I would sit in the attic and draw.  I drew fashions – you know, beautiful dresses.  I wanted to be a designer and live in NY.  We lived in Kansas and I didn’t like it.  MEH.

So, I was designing a dress for my sweet 16 party.  Mom said I could have one.  I was so so excited.  All my friends were going be there.  I had a lot of friends, um a lot of girlfriends.  I didn’t have any boyfriends cuz I was taller than all of them.  In fact, I was the tallest in my class, at 6 feet. I think I was the tallest in my school.  This was the 3rd school I have attended this year so I was lucky to have friends, you know what I mean.  Mom didn’t have to worry about me dating.  No boys were tall enough.satin

My party was a success and my dress was so beautiful.  I designed it myself, you know.  I  made it myself too.  There were some old dresses, tucked away in a chest.  They were made of beautiful satin material.  Mom said they belonged to my grandma and I could do whatever I wanted with the material.  My dress was sooo beautiful!  Mom told me I was pretty and so did my girlfriends.  I never thought I was pretty.  I thought I was pretty ugly.  I had a hard time finding clothes and shoes!  Shoes – OMG!  Forget about finding shoes for my long and skinny feet.

Several years have passed since my sweet sixteen.  Dad passed just last year.  My 2 sisters and my brother, we remember the flowers he sent.  Best to remember the good times, rather than the bad.  We left Kansas – mom and my sisters.  My brother left a while back.  He got a good job as a CPA.  He was always pretty smart.

I made it through college.  I had a scholarship that helped me through.  I kept drawing my fashions, which I kept in a secret place.  I actually made a book for them.  It was made out of cardboard I had found in the attic.  My prize possessions that were in that book are now safely stored in my portfolio.  Yes, you heard me – my portfolio.

Mom and I live in NYC now – my dreams have come true.  I am a designer and a good one at that.  I model too!  Mom can relax now, which is well deserved.  She wants to write a book.  I hope she does.  She’s happy now and still has the long dark flowing hair, with a few silver strands.

I always wanted to look like my mom.  I wasn’t a pretty girl, I was 6 ft tall at fifteen. That wasn’t okay then, but it is okay now, you know.

Cheers!

C25

My story is fictional with no relevance to the life of Maya Angelou

19 comments for “You Know

1. 11/07/2015 at 12:06 am

Great story.

2. 11/07/2015 at 12:29 am

Thank you.

3. 11/09/2015 at 12:16 am

So many of us do know exactly what this gangly girl is trying to say. And we celebrate her success because we know it is hard-won.

4. 04/30/2016 at 4:52 pm

Reblogged this on BrewNSpew.

5. 04/30/2016 at 6:25 pm

You so reeled me in with this story. Beautifully written, I must say.

6. 04/30/2016 at 6:42 pm

What a wonderful story. I want to know more about this family!

7. 04/30/2016 at 8:40 pm

A interesting and well written extrapolation of the Maya quote.

8. 05/01/2016 at 9:04 pm

Good story. I realized some years ago that I really thought I was ugly as a child. I’m not certain when or how I got that message, but it stayed with me into my 60s. Isn’t that sad for a kid?

• 05/01/2016 at 9:56 pm

That is sad. I was a skinny kid and tomboyish. I had red hair and got teased about it. My mother put me in a modeling school and I gained a lot of confidence from that. I also gained more confidence when I went to college. Now that I am older, I just want to look good for my age. I think many of us grow up not liking our looks. After a while I decided to do the best with what I’ve got – without going to any extremes.

9. 05/01/2016 at 10:44 pm

What a lovely idea for a story and great writing.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

A Frank Angle

Thoughts from the Inner Mind

The Flowers of Art

In the kingdom of life, with the strokes of the brush, the bow and the pen, artists have sowed their hearts to contrive, fields rivalling in beauty the Garden of Eden.

Scenic Writer's Shack

Words. Wares. Woomph.

unbelsorrisodallitalia.wordpress.com/

意大利旅居記事簿:來自意國的微笑 by Scarlett To

Joy's Travel

Leben im Ausland (Life in abroad)

Publication Advisors

Help With Publishing

Elusive Mummers

who get lost between sighs and restless nights.

Truth Troubles

Why people hate the truths of the world.

Earthpages.org

The Real Alternative

Saved By Words

When a woman tells the truth she is creating the possibility for more truth around her. Adrienne Rich

Blog de companie

Words are dangerous tools. You need the User Manual.

The Rilke Project

Conversations With a Young Poet

Smile

Because You're Beautiful.. :)

Meraki Forever

Put All Of You❤Thats MERAKI

Insights from "Inside"

Sunshine on Razor Wire: perspectives from "inside"

Tabarka Rajab