Tuesday Chatter Weekly

20160530_1553161

I decided to take it easy today and enjoy the gorgeous weather. This is truly a lovely time of the year in Georgia. We find the evenings perfect for sitting on the back porch, sipping coffee or our favorite libation. Soon the fireflies will be lighting up our view as they glow and dance in the darkness.

fireflies

I’ve been dove watching but no babies yet, however, there is a lot of activity in the nest. I can’t stand this wait and it seems like it’s forever. I know it’s silly to worry about something where I have no control, however, I’ll let out a sigh of relief when I see those little heads bobbing up and down in the nest. I shouldn’t be such a worrier because I’m sure doves can probably take care of themselves better than we humans.

Doves

While taking it easy, I cleaned up several of my LinkedIn posts; and came across this quote by Mahatma Gandhi. I want to share it with you along with some discussion about how to say “no”.

Have you ever found yourself in this position? You want to be helpful. You want to be agreeable. You have a fear of conflicts and lost opportunities. You don’t want to be rude. You don’t want to feel guilty. So, you say “Yes” and find you have overextended yourself. Well, here are some suggestions for saying “No” with tact and sensitivity.

I can’t is plainly simple and direct
I am unable to commit at this time is politely saying I am too busy
Now is not a good time is nicely saying I am in the middle of something else
I would love to do this is gently saying “No”
Let me ponder this and I will get back to you is kindly saying maybe
I’m not your best choice for this is subtlety saying choose someone else
This doesn’t meet my needs is gracefully saying not what I am looking for
I wish I could help but is tactfully saying I don’t lend money or I can’t donate at this time

Three good reasons for saying “No” with diplomacy and grace.

The first reason is for the sake of your wallet. You are not a bank or an ATM machine. Lending money can cause problems and have serious consequences. Lending money to a friend can put a strain on the relationship. Also, don’t let donations get out of hand. You know what your wallet can bear.

Reason two is time. You can only stretch yourself so far. Taking on too much can be exhausting and stressful. Going in too many directions leaves room for making mistakes and not being able to reach completion.

And the third is sanity. Nothing is worth losing your sanity. You are one person and you can’t be everything to all of the people all of the time. There are times when you have to consider “me, myself and I”.

“A “No” uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a “Yes merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble”. – Mahatma Gandhi

So, take it easy on yourself and learn when to say “no”. Just think, you will have more time for blogging! And, I have selected a couple of good examples of excellent reading from our fellow bloggers.

arcticsabrina shares tips and reviews about fashion, cosmetics, and healthy eating; complete with illustrations and descriptions. I love this blog because it is light, fun and informative.

Another good reason to read is abrokenbluesky which offers beautiful poetry and prose. Perfect reading for relaxing by the pool or on a porch; or your favorite coffee or tea spot.

While on the subject of poetry, many of our musical artists are true poets. Their lyrics are enchanting and lure us into the world of music.  The first verse of these lyrics will never be forgotten, as well as the artist. Prince was one of the most multi-talented iconic artists of all time. He will be missed.

“Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
To get through this thing called life”

This is Tuesday Chatter, a weekly event where you can leave the link to your blog, giving others a chance to appreciate your talents. Here’s the link for the how-tos. Tuesday Chatter

image: personal property

25 comments for “Tuesday Chatter Weekly

1. 04/25/2016 at 6:34 pm

So true, I’m getting better at saying no, but I used too be such a people pleaser — and lots of times a resentful people pleaser!

2. 04/25/2016 at 9:40 pm

Thank you for your comment.

3. 04/25/2016 at 11:14 pm

Then you could use my favorite. I’d rather die.

4. 04/26/2016 at 2:01 am

How ironic that you write a post with tips for how to say “No.” I love playing tennis and in any of the four seasons of the year, I’m on between 5-7 teams all over metro DC (counties and states). Our matches are often from 9-11 pm. That takes a toll. My sister calls the sport my second job, and when it feels that way to me it is less fun. I wanted more of my weekend time back, too. So, I pulled out of one team this morning and declined to join two others just so I could hold onto the joy I feel for my sport.

• 04/27/2016 at 12:14 am

I am glad you made that decision! Too much of a good thing can take away the pleasure. You must be a fabulous tennis player!!

5. 04/27/2016 at 10:02 am

This is a beauty… love your advice on saying no.

6. 04/27/2016 at 12:46 pm

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it.

7. 04/27/2016 at 1:47 pm

This is such an important message and I love the quote! A wonderful post!

• 04/27/2016 at 2:05 pm

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it.

• 04/27/2016 at 2:19 pm

I really love your Tuesday Chatter, your writing and the intro. to different blogs! I had never seen this quote before!

• 04/27/2016 at 3:08 pm

Thank you. I am trying to smooth out my writing and make it flow. I am having computer problems with my 10 yr old laptop, Yesterday, I ordered a new one! I am so excited and should have it 3 or 4 days.

• 04/27/2016 at 4:11 pm

Wow 10 years congrats

• 04/28/2016 at 12:37 am

Yes, it has lasted a long time and still going. I need an upgrade and a larger screen.

• 04/28/2016 at 1:53 am

That is so long!

8. 04/29/2016 at 4:40 pm

I love the natter. Saying no is something that I had to learn for my peace of mind, otherwise, I would be shredded to bits. We really can do only as much as we can.

• 04/29/2016 at 6:45 pm

Me too, especially when I was in the corporate world.

9. 03/31/2017 at 9:59 am

This really helps me know to say “No” to the kids I babysit. Sometimes I just let them do what they want because I am afraid they are going to make a big fit, but i need to learn to say no sometimes. Thanks for the encouragement!

10. 04/03/2017 at 10:16 am

Oh, and also a great thanks for following me!

rivrvlogr

Looking ahead, without looking back (too often)

One Writer's Way

Historical/Paranormal/YA Fantasy Romance. Gardening with a focus on herbs, heirloom plants, and country life.

WordPress Tavern

WordPress News — Free as in Beer.

Elizabeth Moura

Poetry, commentary, and photos.

Little Black "domicile"! -online interior design

Creating The Perfect "LBD" For Every Home!

ladyphoenix2016

Diamond in the making

Salted Caramel

A light-hearted look at life

Fashion Explora

All about fashion

Heartstring Eulogies

Conjured by Sarah Doughty

The Alchemist's Studio

Raku pottery, vases, and gifts

LIBARAH

Just bcoz something’s toxic doesn’t mean its not tasty.

Tales from the Mama Duck

Family-Life. Faith-Life. Mid-Life. Sharing-Life!

Authentic Writer

The best Shayri, poetry, Story,philosophy , blogs & novel Writer

The Paper Drafts

Creating Art, Poetry and Fiction.

Journeying Through My Thoughts

♡|Thoughts|Beautiful Words|Motivation|Poem's|Quote's|Maybe Short Storie's|Happiness|Joy|Soul Pouring|An Escape Patch|Memories|Home|♡

A cara do Panda

Beleza e cuidados

Let's Talk About: Personal Development

Development - Money - Fulfillment

I Write My Thoughts

☆Motivations☆ Mementos☆ Quotes, Stories☆Encouraging Words☆ Thoughts☆Dreams☆Imaginary☆Comfort Zone☆ Feelings ☆Emotions* Building Others☆Exploring*Ideas*

SOUTHERN WRITER

This blog is all about writing and will also feature my poetry!