Tuesday Chatter Weekly

198831-Fireplace

It’s time to chat and nothing old hat, please. The coffee is hot, bold and strong. Let’s sit a spell and discuss what’s right and what’s wrong. Yep, this is going to be one of those thought-provoking chats.

Tidbits from the year 1967

1967 was an interesting year and in fact, the 1960s were a decade of growing and movement. More than that, these were times of revolution and reform. There was The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and The Voting Rights Act of 1965.  The 1960s was an era of slogans like “stop the war”, “New Frontier” and “Great Society”.

In 1967, there were a few interesting quotes for example “We rob banks” -Bonnie and Clyde, “Because I’m worth it” – L’Oreal, “Our repairmen are the loneliest guys in town” – Maytag. Can you imagine these quotes being used today?

There was great music, during the 1960s and 1967 was no exception. Here are the top ten in the US, the UK or Australia in 1967-

To Sir with Love- Lulu, The Letter- Box Tops, Ode to Billy Jo- Bobbi Gentry, Windy- The Association, I’m a Believer-The Monkees, Light my Fire- The Doors, Somethin Stupid- Nancy Sinatra, and Frank Sinatra, Happy Together- Turtles, Groovin-Young Rascals, Can’t Take My Eyes Off You -Frankie Valli.

You know, it wasn’t that long ago

Folds of time scattered your mind

Life, indeed, not tied with a bow

There were the highs and also the lows

Did we parade in masquerade?

Putting on acts and a plethora of airs?

Inviting judgment and gossipy stares?

Time doesn’t exist without a clock

No swinging pendulum or tickety tock

Just a maze of choices and ticking the right box

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.― Henry Ford

Let’s Meet & Greet at the Tuesday Chatter Cafe

twinkling words

“City of Starts, are you shining just for me?”

The Qwiet Muse

“every word I write is a beat of my heart”

Piglove

“Adventures of Bacon and Friends”

Keep On Moving

MILLIEMONDAYS

Please stop in and visit ThusNSuch, dedicated to poetry ThusNSuch

ThusNSuch1a

This is Tuesday Chatter, a weekly event where you can leave the link to your blog, giving others a chance to appreciate your talents. Here’s the link to the how-tos. Tuesday Chatter

picmonkey-image111

Credits: http://www.lovethispic.com/

Post navigation

34 comments for “Tuesday Chatter Weekly

1. 02/13/2017 at 1:49 am

“Because you are worth it” is still being used by L’Oreal in their Indian campaigns.

I can think of one outstanding one, that originated in the 1980s, by Tata Steel in India – “We also make steel”, the underline being that “We make people, but we also……”. I consider that philosophy unthinkable in present times. The Tata House is itself in a quagmire of lawsuits and corporate governance conflicts.

2. 02/13/2017 at 6:59 pm

1960s memories – Here we go.

1. Buying Beatles Albums
    2. Working in a Marching Band at Pirates World in Dania , Florida
    3. Cleveland Browns were a dominant team then.
    4. Royal Crown Cola was my favorite soda
    5. Royal Castle Fast Food with those small, burgers.

• 02/13/2017 at 10:29 pm

Wow! Great memories! I loved Royal Castle burgers and The Beatles were my favorite – still are.

3. 02/13/2017 at 7:13 pm

Good memories in word/poetry.!.. The 1960’s were very busy but wonderful years for me… I got married, and we had 3 children.. . and bought our first home I think for around 17.000 and we had to borrow the down payment I think it was around $1,000 dollars. It was a long time ago, but I don’t know where all the years went…. Diane

• 02/13/2017 at 10:32 pm

Lovely memories, Diane. I loved the 1960’s too and miss those great times.

4. 02/14/2017 at 11:55 am

Lovely memories and description of them. Amazing how things change when you see them from so time apart…

5. Tena Carr
    02/15/2017 at 7:54 am

The 60’s were just a tad before my time. I was born 4 years after ’67 in. ’71. Even so, times seem so different from the era I grew up in. In some ways I think maybe the eras of old made us stronger (but that’s just an IMO). Things happened, we dealt with it – No whining or complaining about not getting our way or getting what we wanted. Guess you could say we had less freedoms and yet more. There wasn’t such sensitivity and political correctness that makes you feel like you were taking a risk just opening your mouth. But that’s enough of any type of political talk from me – not my forte and not what this is about.

• 02/15/2017 at 10:44 am

I agree with you, Tena. It seems so many people have an attitude about anything and everything.

6. Tena Carr
    02/15/2017 at 7:55 am

I’m enjoying the tuesday chatter – wish I had ability to get more reading in – but rather new to it and not sure I understand it all or what to do/how to join in. Do I link? comment? I read the Tuesday Chatter “How To” but still afraid to say I’m still a bit lost.

7. 02/15/2017 at 11:27 am

I was a teenager in the 1960s and my memories include
    1963 arriving in South Africa age ten and being told that I could not be friends with other girls and boys of my age because of their colour. A law I broke several times.
    Hearing my mother cry one morning and rushing in to find out that President Kennedy had just been shot in Dallas several hours behind us in Cape Town.
    Dancing to the Rolling Stones
    On our return to the UK and being allowed to watch a man-powered flight attempt on the air base we lived on.
    Finishing school
    Learning typing and shorthand.
    Thanks for sparking off the memories Eugenia and will put in the blogger today to see if we can get some more for you.. hugs

8. 02/15/2017 at 11:37 am

Love the coffee and the poem! Another great Tuesday!

9. 02/15/2017 at 1:45 pm

The 60s were a fun time for me. It was Woodstock, Twiggy, bell bottoms and bra burning. The music was great as were the movies. I got married and had my wonderful son, made great friends and found a good job. It was the start of my life! Things have changed but we still have that spirit that drove us then and still does.

• 02/15/2017 at 4:18 pm

Darlene, I know some think the fashions from the 60’s were wacky but I love them – especially bell bottoms. Thank you for sharing.

10. 02/15/2017 at 2:58 pm

I was allowed to sit up for the moon landing; my 75 year old granny was there and I recall her commenting she remembered when the news of the Wright Bros flying came through and here she was, watching man reach the moon;
    Dad getting dressed in his civil defence uniform to go off and practice in case of a nuclear attack – later i learnt it was mostly and excuse to go to the pub;
    My parents moaning at the neighbours son for his long hair and music being played in the garden;
    Oddly the pound being devalued – I wasn’t precious but when it came on the news my dad was so startled he said ‘f**k’ much to my and my brothers astonishment and mum’s horror;
    The cricket tours in 1968 and 1970 being cancelled to South Africa because of Apartheid and having it explained to me – it made no sense then as now;
    Being made to sit in the car while mum went to fill it up because the chancellor had announced 2 pence was being added to a gallon of petrol in the budget that day – I think that was the start of my long running antipathy towards politicians..
    Lovely idea of a post!

• 02/15/2017 at 4:14 pm

I love your story and have found yours, as well as others lives parallel in so many ways, even though we were raised in different countries. I love the part about your dad donning his uniform and sneaking off to the pub. Thank you for commenting.

11. 02/16/2017 at 5:33 am

Wonderful to read about life in the ’60’s. I hope to see more of these coffee chat posts.

12. 03/22/2017 at 8:47 pm

Those were the days! 🙂

13. 03/23/2017 at 3:02 am

Jumped over from the Senior Salon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    I was still in High School in the late 60s, but I recall so many things still from my perspective as an American. It was a time of transition – some still trying to hold on the the values of the 50’s, others rushing headlong away from them. This is some of what comes to mind for me:

Ed Sullivan begins to reach out to the younger generation – and the Beatles are featured. Long hair and hip huggers on an entire generation, the dawn of panty hose and the liberation from confining panty girdles for women. The first news of pot smoking in Haight Ashbury – and peace symbols painted on notebooks, jackets, even faces – along with daisies that symbolized the peace movement brewing.

Elvis marries Priscilla, Jane Mansfield dies in a car accident with baby Mariska surviving in the back seat (now famous as SVU’s Olivia). Rolling Stone magazine debuts as popular music remains eclectic: The Beach Boys, Supremes, Aretha Franklin, Elvis, Cream and Bowie all shared the spotlight along with many others, as the Beatles’ popularity explodes.

Sock hops – remember those? Fear of being drafted if you didn’t get into college, and the rapidly increasing rumblings of anger about the Viet Nam war as the young lives of people we actually knew were lost. “Never trust anyone over 30!” from many of the Boomers, most still teens.

My father was stationed at Andrews AFB but working in DC as congressional liaison, so my memories of those times are a bit different from many of my contemporaries as a result. I recall the politics around the MX missile, for example. Ralph Nader becomes a household name and the Supreme Court saw the appointment of its first black justice, Thurgood Marshall. Interracial Marriage is finally declared constitutional and Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner rocked a few worlds.

And perhaps, most important of all, photos of our fragile planet from space spark environmental concerns like never before.

xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMORE dot com)
    ADD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder
    “It takes a village to transform a world!”

14. 03/23/2017 at 7:52 am

I was born in ’55 so I remember more about seventies music. I was incredibly blessed to have a great childhood and Twiggy was a great style icon and indeed still is. Thank you for a lovely walk down memory lane.

15. 03/28/2017 at 7:59 am

I remember all of those things vividly. Because race relations in the U.S. were so strained at the time I remember To Sir With Love as a groundbreaking movie.

• 03/28/2017 at 10:01 am

To Sir With Love – what a great movie and yes, it stirred up a lot of feelings. I don’t think we have made much progress with race relations.

16. 05/12/2017 at 5:53 am

. I left the 1960s as a 13 year old so my memories remain rather parochial but bigger picture wise:

• 05/12/2017 at 9:26 am

Thank you for adding your interesting account to Tuesday Chatter 67. We all have our stories, which I thoroughly enjoy reading about the experiences of others. Thank you for visiting.

Being MJ Every Day

An honest and raw story of survival and recovery.

The Meeting Place Of The World

Where it All comes together...

Poems for Warriors

We are at war. Life is a battle. Every day we fight for joy, peace… love. This is correspondence from the frontlines.

The Chronicles of a Fantasy Writer

Newbie writer sharing her writing experience and thoughts on books, shows, movies, and everything in between.

blackwings666

Horror, Science Fiction, Comic Books and More

The 50 year old poet

Your never to old to start again

cancer killing recipe

Just another WordPress.com site

The Busy Young Mom

young mom, weight gain, yoga, enlightenment, nature, home decor, fulltime working mom, paralegal, law student, organization

Little Literature

Thoughts of the pressed madman/pressed by burden of self truth/ atlast he howls prior death/ his howl mated with a nightingle's coo/ and a poetry is born

Michèle's Blog

For the love of our human spirit

The Dark Horse

"I serve a slice of my soul, catering not for an audience but showcasing a platter, aspiring not to conjure unpalatable abhorrent reflections but perchance vivify contemplations with thought provoking ingenuity. Bon appetit." - TDH

Friendship143page

Friendship143page

Rusted Honey

Poetry, haiku, tanka, and micropoetry

mysevensstoreys

one man's spiritual journey home

HiM@NsHh ReCoRds.....

CrEaTiViTy......(AdMiT iT AdMiRe iT..GeT ThaT SpaRk n FiRe iT....)

A Fish Named Karen

Loving the beautiful mess that I am and sharing my truth

Lance Sheridan