Tuesday Chatter Weekly

pexels-photo-144429

Hmmm, there’s nothing better than a thought-provoking chat over a great cuppa coffee. Let’s talk about this and that and figure out where it’s at or do we really want to know? Undoubtedly, certainty is doubtful.

Tidbits from the year 1978

1978 was a popular year for movies and music. The Bee Gees’ “Saturday Night Fever” album is #1 for 24 weeks, Saturday Night Fever and Close Encounters of the Third Kind were all the rage in theaters worldwide. Other popular films were Grease, Heaven Can Wait, Jaws 2, and National Lampoon’s Animal House.

TV land offered some great shows-Happy Days, Little House on the Prairie, The Rockford Files, Saturday Night Live, The Muppet Show, The Love Boat and more. I believe these shows portrayed a much different lifestyle than we are experiencing today. What do you think?

Illinois Bell Company debuts the first Cellular Mobile Phone System, Space Invaders launches the craze for Computer Video Games, 98% of all Americans have a TV in their home, NASA chose its first American women astronauts.

1978 was a good year where life seemed to peak. Or perhaps it was an illusion due to the bouffant hairdos. Oh, and a closet full of polyester flares.

Let’s explore another cuppa living

While the relentless clock’s still ticking

Fading smiles as the curtain falls

The US dollar missed its call

It fell down and can’t get up

Teachers strike no doubt disrupt

Sweden’s the first to ban the can

Aerosol sprayers bruise the ozone layer

It’s 25 years for “Son of Sam”

Price of gold reaches an all-time high

Unemployment is at an all-time low

Bee Gees and Travolta steal the show

Stayin Alive, Stayin Alive, and Heaven Can Wait

Don’t talk with your mouth full to know your fate

Most American households have a TV set

Movies like Grease don’t miss a step

Gleeful memories in nineteen seventy-eight

Stayin Alive, Stayin Alive, and Heaven Can Wait

Happy Days, The Muppets and a sarcastic cat

Garfield, John, Odie, an award-winning act

Saturday Night Fever thrills dancing supporters

Nothing much happens in apple-pie order

Let’s Meet & Greet one another at the Tuesday Chatter Cafe

C46

Tish MacWebber, Always Thinking

Transient Journeys Through the Asylum of Life

Charity shop fashion for the stylish woman

Soul to Word

This is Tuesday Chatter, a weekly event where you can leave the link to your blog, giving others a chance to appreciate your talents. Here’s the link for the how-tos- Tuesday Chatter

Please stop in and visit my other blog dedicated to poetry  – ThusNSuch

C25

image-Pexels

36 comments for “Tuesday Chatter Weekly

1. 05/01/2017 at 12:22 pm

I remember those movies and shows! It’s great to look back!

• 05/01/2017 at 3:10 pm

I liked most of the TV shows back then and I loved Saturday Night Fever. The movie actually came out in Dec of 1977 and became the rage in 1978. The soundtrack is awesome – it makes me want to get up and dance.

2. 05/01/2017 at 3:25 pm

Great memories, Eugenia. I didn’t know about the cellular network back then.

• 05/02/2017 at 11:20 am

I didn’t either, Tom. I am enjoying how much I am learning while doing my research. Thank you for commenting. 🌹

• 05/06/2017 at 12:24 pm

Thank you for visiting and chatting on Tuesday Chatter. 😄

3. 05/01/2017 at 8:04 pm

I don’t know how you manage to put those years in rhyme but you do it marvelously.

4. 05/01/2017 at 8:23 pm

Hi Eugenia, FYI this Tuesday Chatter posts on my WP Reader page on Monday. So I did link to you but don’t know what day or time you will get it because I think you must be outside the USA. But I did send you a pingback. 🙂

5. 05/02/2017 at 12:35 am

1978! I have many fond memories of those days. My friends and I all looked just like Charlie’s Angels and could dance to every song by the BeeGees. I loved long hair on both men and women and those flared pants made everyone look skinny. Bright colored tops and lots of eye make-up. Fun times. There were still so many setbacks for women, however. I was a divorced mom in 1978 and wasn’t allowed to get a credit card without my father or a husband’s signature and I couldn’t get a home loan in my name. It didn’t matter that I had a masters degree. And there were several schools that wouldn’t hire divorced women to teach. Law schools in Florida had quotas for women and wouldn’t allow women to attend night classes, so we could work during the day. Yes, women had made progress from the 1950’s but looking back, not nearly as much as we thought. Perhaps the best thing about 1978 is that I was YOUNG. (At the very end of my 20’s) and my elementary students thought I looked like Jaclyn Smith from the TV show Charlie’s Angels. (I had dark back then.) I think perhaps being young was the key. Everything just seems a little better, and John Travolta was really, really cute in 1978. So was Henry Winkler and Barry Gibb. 😍

• 05/02/2017 at 11:26 am

Wow, you brought back even more memories! I remember having difficulties getting a credit card because I was divorced, as well. You and I come from the same mold in many ways. Thank you for commenting.

• 05/02/2017 at 12:00 pm

Yes we do. Those were difficult times for divorced women. A lot of discrimination. But we persevered and overcame the obstacles that were thrown in our way. Hooray for the ladies of our generation!

6. 05/02/2017 at 12:38 am

I clicked reply before finishing. Thank you for the memories. I enjoyed your poem/rap.

7. 05/02/2017 at 7:40 am

Great year, great memories. I was 14 and life had only just begun. I even joined the BeeGees fan club back then, lol!

8. Tena Carr
    05/02/2017 at 9:12 am

1978, I was just 7 (well 6 for most of it). I remember very little about the outside world of that time era as I was really too young to have paid much attention. I do remember watching a good number of the shows you mentioned, though very possibly was re-runs of the shows by the time I’d remember watching. To be honest I don’t recall what I would have watched or read at that age.

BTW, here’s my Tuesday Chatter post (just done) – https://tenacarr.wordpress.com/2017/05/02/tuesday-chatter-78/… I did go on a bit as something came up that got me going a bit. A wonderful, joy-filled, and blessed week to all.

• 05/02/2017 at 11:30 am

Thank you for the coffee chats, Tena. You are always welcome to visit Tuesday Chatter.

9. 05/02/2017 at 10:45 am

I agree…times have changed. When you’re older…you see the difference so clearly from then and now. My time, when I was young, was so much easier…..

• 05/02/2017 at 1:23 pm

Yes, it was easier in some ways for me, as well. Then it became more complicated but now life is easier again. I guess that is real life – we go through good times and not so good times. 🌹

• 05/02/2017 at 5:09 pm

That is for sure….life’s ups and downs.

10. 05/02/2017 at 11:36 am

Did you have the Saturday Night Fever album Eugenia, with the dance steps printed so you could place them on the floor and practice?

11. 05/03/2017 at 7:17 am

Grease was definitely a favourite, my 5 year old son was a Travolta fan and knew all the words – when I listen to some of them now I cringe! 😄

12. 05/03/2017 at 4:37 pm

What an excellent poem Eugenia.. 🙂 and Little House on the Prairie was one I wouldn’t miss.. Loved it.. And how they all said goodnight .. Being the eldest of 5 siblings we would echo our goodnights lol 🙂 too.. So when this came out it made me smiles..
    Loved the memories here of this year.. 🙂

• 05/04/2017 at 8:35 am

Thank you, Sue. I’m delighted you liked the poem. I liked that show, as well. The life styles portrayed were so different compared to what we see today.

• 05/04/2017 at 8:52 am

Yes… Agreed.. and I had to admit to having a soft spot for John-Boy.. 🙂

13. 05/04/2017 at 4:20 pm

Life really was different then. Shows like happy days , were good shows for kids (of all ages) It was a significant year for me in a couple of ways but the important one was that I started working for a non profit org; that helped children & families mostly in 3rd world countries and I had a heart for that cause since I had my first child and there was a famine at the time… I tried to imagine what a mother would feel when she had no food for her child … God led me there through a set of circumstances… Sorry for a trip down memory lane … Diane

• 05/05/2017 at 10:27 am

What a lovely memory, that you understood the needs of others and were able to help them. No need to be sorry as memories should be shared especially the good ones. Thank you for visiting and Happy Mother’s Day, a little early. 💐

14. 05/09/2017 at 3:10 am

Dear Eugenia, you started this series with a pinch of salt, now there’s a whole lot going on here that simply makes this beautiful. I could see this as a coffee table read that goes through the years. Please give it a thought – that was what came to my mind as I read this.

• 05/09/2017 at 9:03 am

Thank you, Jacqueline. I enjoy writing this series. #1 it resonates with me because I experienced these years #2 I love the comments because others are sharing their stories, as well. I had no idea going back in time would draw such a wonderful audience. I will continue the series as long as I have years. 🌼

PS If I had the patience and the time, I would compile it into a book – maybe. 🙂

Being MJ Every Day

An honest and raw story of survival and recovery.

The Meeting Place Of The World

Where it All comes together...

Poems for Warriors

We are at war. Life is a battle. Every day we fight for joy, peace… love. This is correspondence from the frontlines.

The Chronicles of a Fantasy Writer

Newbie writer sharing her writing experience and thoughts on books, shows, movies, and everything in between.

blackwings666

Horror, Science Fiction, Comic Books and More

The 50 year old poet

Your never to old to start again

cancer killing recipe

Just another WordPress.com site

The Busy Young Mom

young mom, weight gain, yoga, enlightenment, nature, home decor, fulltime working mom, paralegal, law student, organization

Little Literature

Thoughts of the pressed madman/pressed by burden of self truth/ atlast he howls prior death/ his howl mated with a nightingle's coo/ and a poetry is born

Michèle's Blog

For the love of our human spirit

The Dark Horse

"I serve a slice of my soul, catering not for an audience but showcasing a platter, aspiring not to conjure unpalatable abhorrent reflections but perchance vivify contemplations with thought provoking ingenuity. Bon appetit." - TDH

Friendship143page

Friendship143page

Rusted Honey

Poetry, haiku, tanka, and micropoetry

mysevensstoreys

one man's spiritual journey home

A Fish Named Karen

Loving the beautiful mess that I am and sharing my truth

Lance Sheridan