Tuesday Chatter 84

139833-Trippy-Moon

Welcome to the Tuesday Chatter Cafe. A place where we can chat about this and that. Thought-provoking and undeniably doubtful drivel.

In nineteen eighty-four, the first untethered space walk for the US, the Space Shuttle Discovery Maiden flight for the US, genetic fingerprinting of DNA profiling was developed, the Apple McIntosh computer debuted for sale in January 1984, the Apple computer was mouse driven and had a built-in graphical user interface, Sony and Philips debuted the first commercial CD players.

Recession continues in the US, 70 US banks fail, average cost of a new house $86,730, average annual income $21,600, average monthly rent $350., a movie ticket is $2.50, ladies two-tone pumps $24.99, men’s striped polo $24.99, Twirly curls Barbie $10.99.

Michael Jackson’s album “Thriller” sells over 37 million copies, the MTV Music Awards began, top musicians from Great Britain and Ireland form “Band Aid” to record the single “Do They Know It’s Christmas” in a London studio with the intent to raise money and create awareness for famine and poverty in Ethiopia.

Tuning the forks of time

Life’s not a straight line

Drunken words don’t rhyme

Let this roll around in your mouth

Before the crow flies south

Let your pen do the talking

Send insipidity walking

Make sure life begins

before it comes to an end

In our soda pop world we blunder

Scattered ideas torn asunder

-Eugenia

“It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”
― George Orwell, 1984

bee19

BE PROFESSIONAL. BE PERSONAL. BE SUCCESSFUL beBee is a free social network that helps you connect with people that share your interests. Come and join in the fun! beBee Registration

Let’s Meet & Greet one another at the Tuesday Chatter Cafe

C26

$o Close But Yet So Far Away

“Find what you love and let it kill you”- Charles Bukowski

Inspire possibilities, Adorn imagination, Create Change.

How To Keep Going Even When No One Is Watching

Ensuring a safe world for our children

Stop in and say hello to your fellow bloggers!

This is Tuesday Chatter, a weekly event! Please leave the link to your blog, giving others the opportunity to appreciate your talents. Here’s the link for the how-tos- Tuesday Chatter

Please stop in and visit my new blog ThusNSuch, dedicated to poetry and quotes – ThusNSuch

I’m Eugenia and it’s time to wrap up this chat. Hey, if you’re leaving the room, turn out the light. Have a great week!

Cheers!

C25

30 comments for “Tuesday Chatter 84

1. 06/12/2017 at 10:21 am

I was 9 in 1984. It’s astonishing to think that the cost of an average house was only 4 and a bit times the average income. In London in 2017, the average house costs more around 10 times the average London wage.

• 06/13/2017 at 11:23 am

It’s much different today. Using the same site where I gathered that information (so we get a true comparison), for the year 2011 avg cost of a house in the US was $262,260.00 and avg income $40,925.00. 2011 is the last year where the complete information is displayed.

• 06/13/2017 at 4:45 pm

So still an increase to 6.4 times average income. London is an exceptional case.

2. 06/12/2017 at 1:04 pm

I enjoyed reading about the way life was in 1984. I was five years old then…and I remember my older brothers and sisters watching the Thriller video and listening to Michael Jackson in the car on their mixtapes. I got my first CD-playing radio in 1989. And my dad had an Apple Computer, but stopped using it in favor of a PC with a very, very large Epson printer attached to it, with those reams of paper that you had to tear off the holes and separate the each sheet. Oh, and those big floppy disks were so common! Haha. We’ve come a long way!
    But as far as income vs. housing, yeah…that’s a biggie. The average house is much more than the average income now. It’s frustrating for younger folks who are wanting to buy but are simply priced out of the market and I wonder what the repercussions in the years to come will be…perhaps supply vs. demand will kick in…if there are lots of vacant houses because people can’t buy them, I wonder if housing would become more affordable. Dunno. Interesting food for thought. 🙂

• 06/12/2017 at 11:42 pm

so true, Sageleaf – lots of food for thought here, Eugenia – now the question is how to best go forward …

• 06/13/2017 at 11:29 am

Thank you for your comment and yes, a lot of food for thought. I believe it is becoming more difficult to afford a new house today, especially a well constructed one – and not just for young people. Plus, it sometimes takes 2 incomes to keep up with the cost of living, which is difficult for those with children.

3. 06/12/2017 at 2:00 pm

You can’t get ANYTHING

• 06/12/2017 at 2:01 pm

for $2.50 at a movie theater anymore. Sorry, I hit the wrong thing…

• 06/13/2017 at 11:45 am

We don’t bother with going to movies – now that we have the internet.

4. 06/12/2017 at 2:30 pm

Clocks striking 13 or 25 do not raise an eyebrow. We spread ourselves through so many time zones. I keep converting time, before registering for international webinars, and then, tend to forget.

5. 06/12/2017 at 10:29 pm

Hi I had forgotten alot of the things you had mentioned. So true …I loved the line “send insipidity walking” i liked how your poem moved .

• 06/13/2017 at 11:36 am

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed my poem.

6. 06/13/2017 at 11:02 am

More great memories Eugenia. Brings to mind one of Bowie’s best tracks 1984 from his best album – Diamond Dogs.

7. 06/13/2017 at 3:19 pm

Always love these posts – thanks for putting them together.

I hadn’t tracked the connection between Apple and the Space Shuttle, timing-wise. That was a surprise since I sort-of kept up with both industries.

Always a big-time keyboarder, I was NOT someone who jumped for joy at this new idea for home computing. I was NEVER a fan of increased mousing around, forcing me to take my hands off the keyboard (and deal with icons instead of words – ugh!). Even tho’ I was not a fan of PC’s, either, after Gate’s effectively took dos out of the public domain with his proprietary MS-Dos, I didn’t jump ship until the advent of WinDoze.

Except for “photo-formats,” graphical interfaces are MUCH less effective ways of getting the job done for anyone who learned to touch type and does so rapidly. But, as long as both interfaces were going graphical, I decided it made sense to use the one with a stable platform built “from scratch” (not built on top of 3-levels of legacy code — all the way back to CPM).

I have used Apple ever since, and doubt I’d ever switch back since I now have “Mac fingers” – never happy with thumb typing on the newer devices either!

And HOUSING costs – holy moly!!! Since I didn’t have the bucks to buy myself a place to live THEN, I doubt I’d ever amass the fortune it takes today (unless I bought the winning lottery ticket – lol) 🙂

xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMORE dot com)
    ADD/EFD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder
    “It takes a village to educate a world!”

8. 06/13/2017 at 3:23 pm

Ah… 1984. A year I remember well. The year I left school.
    Good memories once again, Eugenia!

9. 06/13/2017 at 10:45 pm

So many things brought back to mind that I haven’t thought about in a long time. Fun poem…like the message.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

bluebird of bitterness

The opinions expressed are those of the author. You go get your own opinions.

By Alanna Pass

Saranya

Normal thoughts but unique view

A.K. Caggiano

I am lord of the blog, said she.

Beholding Him Ministries

Grace, hope and Truth for each day.

janisinwonderland

A simple life

Capital Nerd

Connecting ideas and people – How books can change our lives

Curious as a Cathy

Enjoying life one experience at a time through photography, music, & occasionally a cup of coffee with friends

Dining with Donald

Donald on dining in and out

Indira's Blog

Poems, Haiku, Paintings & Photographs

The Roaring Rabbit

Poetry, Earth Spirituality and the Artistic Soul.

Moonlighting Scrivener

Changing the world, one word at a time.

Apprendrebeaucoupergosum4ever

Scientia potetia est

skepticalmommy

Life is a continuous journey.Lets make it memorable.

Morpethroad

Random meaningful words on a page

ScribbleDartsfromtheHeart

creative expression and imaginative exploration

IMPREINT journal

The official bulletin of the artist IMPREINT created to repost excerpts from 'En plein air'.

Down the Hall on Your Left

This site is a blog about what has been coasting through my consciousness lately. The things I post will be reflections that I see of the world around me. You may not agree with me or like what I say. In either case - you’ll get over it and I can live with it if it makes you unhappy. Please feel free to leave comments if you wish . All postings are: copyright 2014 - 2018

Polly Eloquent