Tuesday Chatter Weekly

128607-Coffee-And-A-Good-Book1

Welcome to the Tuesday Chatter Cafe. A place where we can chat about this and that. Thought-provoking and undeniably doubtful drivel.

In nineteen eighty-four, the first untethered spacewalk for the US, the Space Shuttle Discovery Maiden flight for the US, genetic fingerprinting of DNA profiling was developed, the Apple McIntosh computer debuted for sale in January 1984, the Apple computer was mouse driven and had a built-in graphical user interface, Sony and Philips debuted the first commercial CD players.

The recession continues in the US, 70 US banks fail, the average cost of a new house $86,730, average annual income $21,600, average monthly rent $350., a movie ticket is $2.50, ladies two-tone pumps $24.99, men’s striped polo $24.99, Twirly curls Barbie $10.99.

Michael Jackson’s album “Thriller” sells over 37 million copies, the MTV Music Awards began, top musicians from Great Britain and Ireland form “Band-Aid” to record the single “Do They Know It’s Christmas” in a London studio with the intent to raise money and create awareness for famine and poverty in Ethiopia.

Tuning the forks of time

Life’s not a straight line

Drunken words don’t rhyme

Let this roll around in your mouth

Before the crow flies south

Let your pen do the talking

Send insipidity walking

Make sure life begins

before it comes to an end

In our soda pop world, we blunder

Scattered ideas tore asunder

“It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”
― George Orwell, 1984

Let’s Meet & Greet one another at the Tuesday Chatter Cafe

TC Cafea

$o Close But Yet So Far Away

Inspire possibilities, Adorn imagination, Create Change.

How To Keep Going Even When No One Is Watching

Ensuring a safe world for our children

Stop in and say hello to your fellow bloggers!

This is Tuesday Chatter, a weekly event! Please leave the link to your blog, giving others the opportunity to appreciate your talents. Here’s the link to the how-tos- Tuesday Chatter

Please stop in and visit my new blog dedicated to poetry – ThusNSuch

ThusNSuch3

C25

30 comments for “Tuesday Chatter Weekly

1. 06/12/2017 at 10:21 am

I was 9 in 1984. It’s astonishing to think that the cost of an average house was only 4 and a bit times the average income. In London in 2017, the average house costs more around 10 times the average London wage.

• 06/13/2017 at 11:23 am

It’s much different today. Using the same site where I gathered that information (so we get a true comparison), for the year 2011 avg cost of a house in the US was $262,260.00 and avg income $40,925.00. 2011 is the last year where the complete information is displayed.

• 06/13/2017 at 4:45 pm

So still an increase to 6.4 times average income. London is an exceptional case.

2. 06/12/2017 at 1:04 pm

I enjoyed reading about the way life was in 1984. I was five years old then…and I remember my older brothers and sisters watching the Thriller video and listening to Michael Jackson in the car on their mixtapes. I got my first CD-playing radio in 1989. And my dad had an Apple Computer, but stopped using it in favor of a PC with a very, very large Epson printer attached to it, with those reams of paper that you had to tear off the holes and separate the each sheet. Oh, and those big floppy disks were so common! Haha. We’ve come a long way!
    But as far as income vs. housing, yeah…that’s a biggie. The average house is much more than the average income now. It’s frustrating for younger folks who are wanting to buy but are simply priced out of the market and I wonder what the repercussions in the years to come will be…perhaps supply vs. demand will kick in…if there are lots of vacant houses because people can’t buy them, I wonder if housing would become more affordable. Dunno. Interesting food for thought. 🙂

• 06/12/2017 at 11:42 pm

so true, Sageleaf – lots of food for thought here, Eugenia – now the question is how to best go forward …

• 06/13/2017 at 11:29 am

Thank you for your comment and yes, a lot of food for thought. I believe it is becoming more difficult to afford a new house today, especially a well constructed one – and not just for young people. Plus, it sometimes takes 2 incomes to keep up with the cost of living, which is difficult for those with children.

3. 06/12/2017 at 2:00 pm

You can’t get ANYTHING

• 06/12/2017 at 2:01 pm

for $2.50 at a movie theater anymore. Sorry, I hit the wrong thing…

• 06/13/2017 at 11:45 am

We don’t bother with going to movies – now that we have the internet.

4. 06/12/2017 at 2:30 pm

Clocks striking 13 or 25 do not raise an eyebrow. We spread ourselves through so many time zones. I keep converting time, before registering for international webinars, and then, tend to forget.

5. 06/12/2017 at 10:29 pm

Hi I had forgotten alot of the things you had mentioned. So true …I loved the line “send insipidity walking” i liked how your poem moved .

• 06/13/2017 at 11:36 am

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed my poem.

6. 06/13/2017 at 11:02 am

More great memories Eugenia. Brings to mind one of Bowie’s best tracks 1984 from his best album – Diamond Dogs.

7. 06/13/2017 at 3:19 pm

Always love these posts – thanks for putting them together.

I hadn’t tracked the connection between Apple and the Space Shuttle, timing-wise. That was a surprise since I sort-of kept up with both industries.

Always a big-time keyboarder, I was NOT someone who jumped for joy at this new idea for home computing. I was NEVER a fan of increased mousing around, forcing me to take my hands off the keyboard (and deal with icons instead of words – ugh!). Even tho’ I was not a fan of PC’s, either, after Gate’s effectively took dos out of the public domain with his proprietary MS-Dos, I didn’t jump ship until the advent of WinDoze.

Except for “photo-formats,” graphical interfaces are MUCH less effective ways of getting the job done for anyone who learned to touch type and does so rapidly. But, as long as both interfaces were going graphical, I decided it made sense to use the one with a stable platform built “from scratch” (not built on top of 3-levels of legacy code — all the way back to CPM).

I have used Apple ever since, and doubt I’d ever switch back since I now have “Mac fingers” – never happy with thumb typing on the newer devices either!

And HOUSING costs – holy moly!!! Since I didn’t have the bucks to buy myself a place to live THEN, I doubt I’d ever amass the fortune it takes today (unless I bought the winning lottery ticket – lol) 🙂

xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMORE dot com)
    ADD/EFD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder
    “It takes a village to educate a world!”

8. 06/13/2017 at 3:23 pm

Ah… 1984. A year I remember well. The year I left school.
    Good memories once again, Eugenia!

9. 06/13/2017 at 10:45 pm

So many things brought back to mind that I haven’t thought about in a long time. Fun poem…like the message.

cancer killing recipe

Just another WordPress.com site

The Busy Young Mom

young mom, weight gain, yoga, enlightenment, nature, home decor, fulltime working mom, paralegal, law student, organization

Little Literature

Thoughts of the pressed madman/pressed by burden of self truth/ atlast he howls prior death/ his howl mated with a nightingle's coo/ and a poetry is born

Michèle's Blog

For the love of our human spirit

The Dark Horse

"I serve a slice of my soul, catering not for an audience but showcasing a platter, aspiring not to conjure unpalatable abhorrent reflections but perchance vivify contemplations with thought provoking ingenuity. Bon appetit." - TDH

Perceptions Unplugged

Read, Think & Write

Friendship143page

Friendship143page

Rusted Honey

Poetry, haiku, tanka, and micropoetry

mysevensstoreys

one man's spiritual journey home

HiM@NsHh ReCoRds.....

CrEaTiViTy......(AdMiT iT AdMiRe iT..GeT ThaT SpaRk n FiRe iT....)

A Fish Named Karen

Loving the beautiful mess that I am and sharing my truth

Lance Sheridan

♥️Off Duty Nurse ♥️

Melody Chen

Word-Experimentalist

My experience

digital banega village

Mihran Kalaydjian's Official Blog

Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s. Billy Wilder

Short Ramblings