Tuesday Chatter 86

48951-Moon-Over-The-Lake

Please come in and welcome to the Tuesday Chatter Cafe. A place where the clock ticks backward and we can chat about what may or may not happen. We dwell on thought-provoking and undeniably doubtful drivel.

1986, a troubled year with some of the worst tragedies in history. The explosion of the Space Shuttle Challenger watched by people worldwide, killing all 7 astronauts aboard, the Soviet Nuclear disaster at Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station, and the mad cow disease in the UK are just a few of the horrific events that happened in 1986.

But a lot of interesting events occurred in 1986-  Hands Across America, a large public charity event is held in May. Approximately 6.5 million people participated. The $10. donations were given to local charities to fight poverty. Mike Tyson becomes the youngest Heavyweight Champion in history, the Oprah Winfrey Show makes its debut in the US, the Soviet Union launches it’s MIR space station, Richard Branson breaks the world record for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic on his 72 ft powerboat, the Virgin Challenger II, smoking is banned on all public transport including trains, planes, buses, and coaches in the US.

Are we jealous or mediocre

No shows won’t know

Class not dismissed and on with the show

More than one hand to clap

Less than two fingers to snap

Great minds work trenches

No more room on benches

As we trolley through space

Last stop’s a perfect place

People hold hands across the land

We’ve much to give to help others live

There’s no smoking on that plane

Nor the bus nor the train

We’ve nuttin to lose and a lot to gain

No matter what we do there’s much askew

Have a nice day and toodle-loo

-Eugenia

bee4

BE PROFESSIONAL. BE PERSONAL. BE SUCCESSFUL beBee is a free social network that helps you connect with people that share your interests. Come and join in the fun! beBee Registration

Let’s Meet & Greet one another at the Tuesday Chatter Cafe

C26

Where writers gather

Make your life into something you want to read about. Always traveling on the budget.

Smart Veg Recipes

The Backyard Poet

The Quill That Shatters Glass

Stop in and say hello to your fellow bloggers!

This is Tuesday Chatter, a weekly event! Please leave the link to your blog, giving others the opportunity to appreciate your talents. Here’s the link for the how-tos- Tuesday Chatter

Please stop in and visit my new blog ThusNSuch, dedicated to poetry and quotes – ThusNSuch

I’m Eugenia and it’s time to wrap up this chat. Hey, if you’re leaving the room, turn out the light. Have a great week!

Cheers!

C25

27 comments for “Tuesday Chatter 86

1. 06/26/2017 at 10:22 am

Hey Eugenia,

How are you doing? Tuesday Chatter on a Monday afternoon was a tease I couldn’t resist…and the poem a delight, artfully adding worth to the value of the article. Thank you 🙂

1986 was quite a year and one I remember reasonably well for a change…I had left school and started a career in retail management and the first proper years of full-time employment. If only I had known more about life back then I would have made a completely different choice…no doubt I should’ve grabbed the backpack and walking boots and simply disappeared off the grid altogether, forever! lol 🙂

Joking apart, I clearly recall the Challenger tragedy watching it live on terrestrial T.V. I wondered then if it spelt the slow wind-down to the end of manned space flight but such is the thrust and drive of the human condition to always reach further than it is able to grasp we have continued to journey to the stars. I’d go if ever offered the chance…a one way ticket to Mars or beyond on a pathfinder mission would be perfect.

Mike Tyson…he was a ferocious fighter, explosive, full of venom and fury. One of my favourite boxers together with Marvin Hagler, who I also had a lot of respect for a professional.

The smoking ban on public transport I thought an excellent idea after having spent a miserable hour in high temperatures sharing the smoking carriage of an overcrowded train delayed outside of Birmingham, UK. I was green by the time we alighted.

Thank you Eugenia for chatting, perhaps sharing a coffee as well. An enjoyable wander through past times.

Take care

Namaste 🙂

DN

• 06/26/2017 at 11:36 am

Thank you for visiting, Dewin. I thoroughly enjoy your visits and delightful comments. Yes, I release Tuesday Chatters on Mondays, so most of followers have on Tuesdays. Make it a great week.

• 06/26/2017 at 11:43 am

Pleasure as always is mine. Thank you.

A great week…I hope so, and for you also Eugenia.

Namaste 🙂

DN

2. Tena Carr
    06/27/2017 at 8:54 am

Here’s my Tuesday Chatter: https://tenacarr.wordpress.com/2017/06/27/tuesdaychatter-june-27-2017/

The Shuttle Disaster of in 86 was the big event of the year for me…Wrote about it in my blog. A lot of the other things I don’t really remember but I remember that event – clearly…At least the effect it had on me and the class.

• 06/27/2017 at 9:55 am

It was a very sad day, Tena. One that we will never forget where we were when it happened.

3. 06/27/2017 at 9:05 am

“Are you jealous or mediocre?” is such a powerful line. One starts wondering whether to place oneself above or below. Nobody wants to be there. Shall I say, ‘ I am happy in my simplicity’, or ‘I am above average’? And, then, where is the average?

4. 06/27/2017 at 11:56 am

Wow cool new look!

• 06/27/2017 at 1:02 pm

Thank you! It was time for a change for BrewNSpew. I’m glad to hear from you.

5. 06/27/2017 at 6:57 pm

Love the poem! Made me smile. You do bring back memories with your chatter. Amazing how much I have forgotten. Like the new look here.

• 06/27/2017 at 7:06 pm

Thank you and I am glad you enjoyed the chatter. I hesitated about applying the new look and now that I have tweaked it, I’m glad I made the change.

• 06/27/2017 at 7:48 pm

It is a bit of work to change the way a blog looks. I have done it fairly often but I like what I have now. Of course, that could change in a minute.

6. 06/28/2017 at 4:13 am

Loved your poem on this one Eugenia I remember so clearly too coming in from work and hearing the news of the Space Shuttle Challenger explosion..

Loving what you have done with your theme too.. Very eye catching.. 🙂 Have a great week my friend xx

7. 06/28/2017 at 11:55 am

Some powerful poetry Eugenia. I think we need some of that holding hands across the lands.

8. 06/28/2017 at 1:48 pm

HYE! I’ve Nominated U 4 Liebster Award,Do Visit My Blog & Kindly participate…

• 06/29/2017 at 7:38 pm

I sincerely appreciate you nominating me for the Liebster Award, however, my blogs are award free due to time restraints.

9. 06/29/2017 at 3:31 am

Hmm! That first line of the poem is thought provoking. I enjoy your Tuesday chatter. Always refreshing with drops of history and humour in your poems.

• 07/04/2017 at 9:43 am

Hi Tena, I am having to redo all of my posts due to a theme change. So you may see some old posts pop up. Sorry for the confusion. 🙂

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

bluebird of bitterness

The opinions expressed are those of the author. You go get your own opinions.

By Alanna Pass

Saranya

Normal thoughts but unique view

A.K. Caggiano

I am lord of the blog, said she.

Beholding Him Ministries

Grace, hope and Truth for each day.

janisinwonderland

A simple life

Capital Nerd

Connecting ideas and people – How books can change our lives

Curious as a Cathy

Enjoying life one experience at a time through photography, music, & occasionally a cup of coffee with friends

Dining with Donald

Donald on dining in and out

Indira's Blog

Poems, Haiku, Paintings & Photographs

The Roaring Rabbit

Poetry, Earth Spirituality and the Artistic Soul.

Moonlighting Scrivener

Changing the world, one word at a time.

Apprendrebeaucoupergosum4ever

Scientia potetia est

skepticalmommy

Life is a continuous journey.Lets make it memorable.

Morpethroad

Random meaningful words on a page

ScribbleDartsfromtheHeart

creative expression and imaginative exploration

IMPREINT journal

The official bulletin of the artist IMPREINT created to repost excerpts from 'En plein air'.

Down the Hall on Your Left

This site is a blog about what has been coasting through my consciousness lately. The things I post will be reflections that I see of the world around me. You may not agree with me or like what I say. In either case - you’ll get over it and I can live with it if it makes you unhappy. Please feel free to leave comments if you wish . All postings are: copyright 2014 - 2018

Polly Eloquent