My Opinion is…

273484-Heart-Shaped-River-Rock

Constructive criticism can be utter bosh

Unfolding ideas almost awash

High fives questioned as awes or flaws

Is it wise to hide our guffaws

Or raise our voice to quash the cause

in-other-words1

This week the event is to Write a story or poem of 5 Lines or Less using the word awash.  Please drop by and join the challenge at Patricia’s Place

C25

33 comments for “My Opinion is…

1. 07/19/2017 at 7:27 pm

Constructive criticism is a rare thing. Most people don’t think before they tell us what they think and that often means what they have to say is total bosh. I say raise your voice and guffaw your quash. Thanks for sharing no bosh needing to be quashed here.

2. 07/20/2017 at 1:09 am

I was just reading a piece on ‘authenticity filters’. This gels so much with the ideas expressed. Brilliant piece, Eugenia!

3. 07/20/2017 at 4:59 am

I do get this. One person’s idea of constructive criticism can be based entirely on subjectivity. Best to get more than one opinion, I believe :). insightful, Eugenia x

4. 07/20/2017 at 6:45 am

I felt awash with feelings of sadness and joy in that order.
    Finally it was here, that moment I asked God for so many years ago.
    When change happens it is good, we live.
    Now I must let go, and be happy differently!
    (*** As my eldest son prepares to be married I’m awashed with anxiety and joy!)

• 07/20/2017 at 12:28 pm

I feel it is normal to have mixed emotions. Life is full of surprises and at times we have to step back and try to absorb all that is going on around us. Keep shining!

5. 07/20/2017 at 11:21 am

Thought provoking poetry Eugenia. I think the phrase constructive criticism was coined by people unable to control their own egos. There is a great saying in the North of England, “sometimes it’s better to bite your tongue and say nowt (nothing).”

• 07/20/2017 at 12:31 pm

I like your thoughts, Davy, and I agree. It is an overused phrase in my opinion. One of those – for lack of anything better to say phrases.

• 07/21/2017 at 7:33 am

So very true Eugenia.

6. 07/22/2017 at 8:18 am

Excellent, humorous reflection on the dubious value of unasked for “constructive criticism,” Eugenia (an oxymoron, actually, IMHO) — along with the protective value of Personal Boundaries.

“Bugger off!” is sometimes the best response – lol. Ironic that we don’t usually say that to critics because we are more careful with their feelings than they are of ours.
    xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMORE dot com)
    ADD/EFD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder
    “It takes a village to transform a world!”

• 07/22/2017 at 11:49 am

You make an excellent point about being more careful with their feelings than they are with ours. Thank you for expanding on the poem.

• 07/22/2017 at 1:34 pm

Thanks – we DO that, don’t we? I linked this post to my intro article for the boundaries series (which I believe posts Monday) – watch for a ping.
        xx,
        mgh

7. 07/22/2017 at 10:20 am

Hum… I think it’s better to hold your tongue. I know many people that are hurt by someone saying ‘but it’s the truth’. Short and sweet and thought provoking poetry – I love it !

8. 07/22/2017 at 5:36 pm

I love the poem, Eugenia! It has really struck a chord with me since I have been receiving a lot of bad press lately from some people in my country who seem to be annoyed by my recent publications . I don’t get this attitude and what it is that bothers them. Constructive criticism should not contain any venom nor should it contain a tinge of spite. If you don’t like something just abstain from spiteful comment.

• 07/22/2017 at 10:53 pm

I agree spite is not constructive criticism. I feel Madelyn summed it quite well with her comment,

9. 07/23/2017 at 12:42 pm

Sometimes under the blanket guise of constructive criticism, people hurt others and take mean spiteful jabs at each other.

10. 07/24/2017 at 10:26 am

Excellent poem and observations Eugenia .. 🙂

11. 07/24/2017 at 10:28 am

Thank you so much, Sue.

12. 07/25/2017 at 5:32 pm

I don’t realy understand. What is against constructive critisism? Un-constructive critisism would be something like: That sucks! Constructive crisism however could adress the, well, construction of the piece of art, wether it is a poem, a story, a painting, picture, whatever. It might state: that specific part of the piece doesn’t seem to be that strong. If you strengthen it, the whole ‘building’, as it were, gets more stable, more beautiful perhaps. Or: the piece is good, well crafted, the buidling blocks are well put together. But it might need some more…. and then fill in what it could benefit from. If the point is that unasked critisism is unwanted and annoying, I can wholeheartedly agree. But I fail to see the foul in constructive crisism as such.

• 07/25/2017 at 6:06 pm

If the constructive criticism is sincere and the intent is to offer helpful advice, then there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. However, if someone makes a spiteful comment and refers to it as constructive criticism then they are misusing the term.

• 07/25/2017 at 6:21 pm

I fully agree with that. Such a person is not a sincere critic, it’s a… ehm… well, let us not be trapped in unconstructiveness 🙂

• 07/25/2017 at 8:33 pm

I agree. Btw, your photography is outstanding.

13. 07/31/2017 at 10:27 am

Loved it. Truth of the matter is, we are in the truth business in one form or the other. And if people don’t agree with what you have to say, oh well.

As that great philosopher , Ricky Nelson put it, “You can’t please everyone, so you got to please yourself.”

• 07/31/2017 at 10:57 am

Thank you and I like the quote by Ricky Nelson. We can’t please everyone even if we want to.

w

Writer's Intuition.

Poems, stories, and how to write them!

Non-Euclidean Sofa

Mostly Adequate!

Writing with probability

The die is cast, for the mundane to the revolutionary

clcouch123

a place to talk so talk I'll talk we'll talk

Enigma

Fire in your veins, magic in your bones, allow yourself to heal and learn to embrace your uniqueness to find a way out of this labyrinth...

The Curiosity Inspires

Be Inquisitive & You Will Find Your WAY...!!

Pointed Home

We've Still Got Time

A Word Of Substance

"Object Relations"

My KalEYEdoscope

See what I see...

D.E. Haggerty

Writer, Blogger, Book Addict

Blog Everything

Either read something worth writing or write something worth reading

renegade7x

Natalia's space

Dread Poets Sobriety

The Inane Ramblings of a Fractured Mind

Globetrotting Grandpa

"Tis not too late to seek a newer world"

Хокку