Forty, the product of four and ten
Let’s ponder where we’re going
and where we’ve been
Forty, the product of fifty minus ten
Memories of again and again
or of every now and then
Forty, it follows thirty-nine
hmm, once upon a time
40, the age for celebration
or uninvited depression
40, appears to have a reputation
its significance worth a notation
Yes, for me forty was a good year
I’ve no reasons to shed a tear
Forty, though you haven’t asked
your future’s not your past
Certain numbers arouse curiosity. I have always wondered about the special significance of the number 40, across different cultures and geographies.
- Why 40 days of mourning in Islam?
- Why 40 days of fasting and prayer in Lent?
- Why 40 winks of sleep?
- Why 40 minutes of walking?
- Why 40 days of rest after childbirth in India?
- Why the fortieth birthday as a celebration of midlife?
- Why the depression at turning 40?
Please stop in at the Go Dog Go Cafe where there is a remarkable cluster of talented writers. I’m one of the Baristas and proud to be a part this elite group.
And you’re more than welcome to visit my other blog, ThusNSuch