Have You Used The New Gutenberg Editor?

Hugh's Views & News

Thank you to Donna Connolly, who blogs at Retirement Reflections, for asking me a question about blogging after reading my recent blog post ‘Do You Have A Question About Blogging…’

Here’s Donna’s question in full.

#bloggingtips #blogging #Gutenberg #GutenbergEditor

Yes, I’m using the Gutenberg editor, Donna. I’ve written this post using it.

I’ve read more blog posts complaining about the new Gutenberg Editor than those that give it any praise or credit. I found that to be of great shame, given some of the circumstances surrounding the reviews it’s been getting.

Many of those who complained about Gutenberg hadn’t even attempted using it. They’d ended up getting to it by mistake; many panicking as soon as they saw what was in front of them on the screen.

Others had tried using it but had not given it the time it deserves. Just like learning to ride a bike, or ice-skating for…

View original post 1,159 more words

21 comments for “Have You Used The New Gutenberg Editor?

1. 03/04/2019 at 2:30 pm

It’s a bit of a learning curve, but I’m using it and I like it. It’s the way of all things new, people don’t like change until they find out how much better things are with the change.

Have a fabulous day. ♥

2. 03/04/2019 at 4:14 pm

That’s enough to make me steer well clear, I am a Luddite and useless with computer clever stuff. I expect as with most things one has to drag oneself to them kicking and screaming and eventually get the hang of them. I’ve only just learnt how to work the old version!

3. 15andmeowing
    03/04/2019 at 4:27 pm

I don’t like change. I use the classic editor plug-in. 🙂

• 03/04/2019 at 4:55 pm

I have just realised I have no idea what I use, this will sound awful to young people but I have no idea about plug-ins. There is a box on the top right of the screen and I press this and get a page and start writing. I’m such a Luddite!!

• 03/04/2019 at 7:22 pm

Gutenberg uses boxes. You would know if that is what you’re using.

• 03/04/2019 at 8:33 pm

No idea, although I think I opened an new site for Joe Wells Books and that seemed a lot different from The Diary of a Country Bumpkin perhaps that’s Gutenberg. If so I don’t like it as it didn’t do what I wanted!

• 03/04/2019 at 7:11 pm

I use both! I was fine with Gutenberg until it totally errored out a couple of my posts! Then I became frustrated and switched over to the Classic editor.

I use the Classic editor for BrewNSpew and Gutenberg for ThusNSuch, mainly because the posts in ThusNSuch are shorter and easier to navigate.

4. 03/04/2019 at 6:44 pm

I don’t use the visual editor. I write everything in plain text with HTML tags or with Markdown offline, convert it to HTML, and paste it into the editor. I’ve always done it that way and see no reason to change that.

• 03/04/2019 at 7:15 pm

I wish I had a better understanding of HTML, etc. Seems the way to go!

5. 03/05/2019 at 5:39 am

Thank you so much for reblogging and sharing my review of the Gutenberg Editor, Eugenia. Like everything else, there are some bugs with it, but WordPress is working on getting rid of them. For now, they will continue to support the Classic editor, but there are plans to withdraw support for it at the end of 2020.
    Have a great week.

• 03/05/2019 at 2:22 pm

My pleasure, Hugh! I’ve been using the Gutenberg Editor for a while. I find it frustrating at times and switch back to the Classic Editor. Then I go back to Gutenberg and try it again. I’ll master it, eventually!

6. 03/07/2019 at 9:15 am

I’ve had a few goes – I like both, but Gutenberg has its good points and I found it easy to use.

• 03/07/2019 at 11:22 am

Yes, I agree. I especially like the ability to easily change the order of the blocks.

• 03/07/2019 at 6:50 pm

Yes, that makes it dynamic editing for me.

• 03/08/2019 at 7:43 am

I may have one of my sites on the old and one on the Gutenberg as the old one you see each post in its entirety but the new one just shows the title. I prefer the old version. Unfortunately I’m a complete Luddite with computer stuff so have no idea how to change any of it!

• 03/08/2019 at 8:11 am

Well, mine doesn’t change how it’s loaded on the reader, but I guess it depends on how you select to load it – which may be hidden in the process. Yes it is easier for anyone under 12 yrs. 🙂

• 03/08/2019 at 9:03 am

Yes, under 12. That’s were I’m going wrong!

• 03/08/2019 at 7:30 pm

Lol

Let's have coffee and chat! 😉

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )